BuiltWithNOF
four

Dedham, Manningtree, Brantham, Stutton, Bentley, Wenham, Higham and Stratford all contributed to fill this house with worshippers. Towards the close of Rev. Williams ministry, the congregation greatly declined, partly perhaps, on account of his growing infirmities and partly in consequence of an Independent Meeting House opening in Dedham. The death of Rev. Williams took place in 1750.

 He was followed by the Rev. Nicholas Humphreys in 1750. After five years he lost his reason by a fever and did not resume his labour anymore. The congregation was then unsettled until 1758 when the Rev. Henry limes, a Scottish Minister, became the Pastor. He died in 1770.

 The congregation continued to decline and for some tune the place was without a preacher. A few people were still connected with the place, and according to a clause in the trust deeds, it was essential that there should be preaching once in six months at least or the premises could be claimed by some individuals. Hence the doors were opened now and then to admit a Minister and those who chose to attend, but such was the uninviting appearance of the place that but few appeared.

 In the year 1775 Mr. Llewelyn took charge of the small flock and continued until 1783. He was followed by Mr. Braybrook in 1784. He was a man of good learning and considerable attainments but not altogether orthodox in the faith. About 15 to 30 persons formed his congregation. After occupying the pulpit for about 20 years, he ended his days under mental deprivations.

 The next regular Minister was Mr. Harding in the year 1804, but he left the people and forsook the Dissenters to join the Church of England in 1807. Mr. James Fleet Cover took charge of the congregation in 1807 until 1813. The Rev. Alexander Good was the next Minister to come. He was ordained on 8th December 1813. He was a man of good understanding and of excellent character. He resigned his charge in 1818 and moved to Launceston in Cornwall